Carbon Monoxide (CO)

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is when Carbon Monoxide enters the lungs and cuts off oxygen supply to your body. To prevent problems from Carbon Monoxide, ensure all devices which could produce this gas, (motor, heater, stove etc.)Are in optimum running condition, designed for marine use and are equipped with proper exhaust and ventilation systems. Carbon Monoxide detectors are also advised where practical.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can include nausea, headache unconsciousness and death. Early symptoms may be mistaken for seasickness or the flu. To treat this condition, turn off the system producing the gas, ensure adequate ventilation, remove the person from the gas exposure and seek medical help. Note, take care that you do not exposure yourself to the gas while trying to assist.