For added safety, a pleasure craft that is less then 20 m. in length or which is constructed primarily of non-metallic materials should be equipped with a passive radar reflector. If practical, the reflector should be mounted or suspended at a height of not less than 4 m. (13.1 ft.) above the water.
- Exceptions can be made in the following cases: during daylight hours;
- when there are limited traffic conditions;
- when there are favourable environmental conditions;
- when compliance is not essential for the safety of the boat;
- if the boat is small enough that compliance with radar navigation is impracticable.